- The state Department of Health reports that LIJ Medical Center has the state’s best outcomes for patients undergoing surgeries to repair or replace heart valves and for those in need of surgeries for both valve and coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery. North Shore University Hospital has the state’s highest success rate for patients undergoing emergency and non-emergency angioplasty, a stent procedure used to clear blocked arteries and increase blood flow to the heart.
- North Shore-LIJ earns the 2014 Pinnacle Award for Quality and Patient Safety from the Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) for its system-wide approach to reducing healthcare-acquired pressure ulcers.
- Huntington Hospital becomes the first hospital on Long Island to be designated a Magnet hospital for the third consecutive time by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition Program® for excellence in nursing services. Only 86 of the 5,724 hospitals in the United States have attained Magnet status three times or more.
- For the eighth consecutive year, Cohen Children’s Medical Center is ranked as one of the nation’s elite children’s hospitals by US News & World Report in its annual “America’s Best Children’s Hospitals” survey. Cohen placed among the top 50 hospitals in five pediatric specialties: gastroenterology and gastrointestinal surgery, neonatology, neurology and neurosurgery, pulmonology and urology.
- Lenox Hill Hospital is ranked among the nation’s top 50 hospitals for 2014-15 in cardiology and heart surgery in US News & World Report’s 25th annual Best Hospitals edition.
- For the second consecutive year, North Shore University Hospital is recognized for its excellence in neurology and neurosurgery, ranking among the nation’s top 50 hospitals in US News & World Report’s 25th annual Best Hospitals edition.
- North Shore University Hospital is verified as a Level I trauma center by the American College of Surgeons — the first hospital in the downstate region to receive this designation. The achievement recognizes the trauma center’s commitment to providing high-quality service, excellence and optimal care for all patients.
- Southside Hospital is verified as a Level II trauma center by the American College of Surgeons (ACS), becoming the first ACS Level II trauma center in New York State.
- Ten North Shore-LIJ hospitals receive the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With the Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for implementing the highest standards of stroke care in accordance with evidence-based treatment guidelines. The recipients are: Forest Hills, Glen Cove, Huntington, Lenox Hill, North Shore University, Plainview, Southside, Staten Island University and Syosset hospitals, and LIJ Medical Center. Also, Franklin Hospital receives the Gold Achievement Award.
- LIJ Medical Center installs cameras in all 24 of its operating rooms as part of a pilot program to strengthen patient safety by monitoring whether surgical teams are identifying and evaluating key safety measures designed to prevent “never events” such as wrong-site surgeries. LIJ and Forest Hills Hospital are the only hospitals in the country using remote video auditing in a surgical setting.
- For the eighth consecutive year, North Shore-LIJ Health System President and CEO Michael J. Dowling is included in Modern Healthcare magazine’s annual listing of the nation’s “100 Most Influential People in Healthcare.”
- Eight North Shore-LIJ hospitals — Cohen Children’s Medical Center, Forest Hills Hospital, Franklin Hospital, LIJ Medical Center, North Shore University Hospital (NSUH), Plainview Hospital, Staten Island University Hospital and Syosset Hospital — are recognized for their impressive clinical information systems, according to the 2014 Most Wired Survey, conducted by the American Hospital Association. NSUH was recognized for the third consecutive year, while LIJ Medical Center and Syosset Hospital earned the distinction for the second year in a row.
- North Shore University Hospital and LIJ Medical Center receive The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™ for their Inpatient Diabetes Programs, joining Glen Cove Hospital as certified programs. The hospitals earned their advanced certifications based on their inpatient diabetes teams’ success in working with different departments throughout the hospitals to further educate staff about the importance of patient- centered care and education for people with diabetes.
North Shore-LIJ Medical Group
practices — Massapequa Internal Medicine,
Nassau Suffolk Family
Medicine in West
Babylon, Specialty Medical Center at Rego Park
and Islip Medicine — are recognized by the
National Committee for Quality Assurance
for their high-quality diabetes care.
- Lenox Hill Hospital
Heart Association’s Bronze Quality
quality improvement measures for treating
patients who suffer severe heart attacks.
- North Shore-LIJ receives the
and Patient Safety Best Practices Award
Reciprocal Insurers. The award
recognizes the many efforts taken at health system
- Eight North Shore-LIJ facilities —
Institute for Medical Research; Forest Hills
Hospital, Lenox Hill Hospital/Manhattan Eye,
Ear & Throat Hospital, LIJ Medical Center,
University Hospital, Plainview
Hospital, Southside Hospital
are recognized for providing
inclusive and respectful care
to their lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender
their families in the Human Rights Campaign
Foundation’s Healthcare Equality Index.
Division of Palliative Care
earns advanced certification from
Commission, reflecting a high standard
of palliative patient care based on compliance
with national standards,
and outcomes for patients who are seriously
ill or live with fragile, complex conditions.
- Staten Island University Hospital
a top grade from
The Leapfrog Group
its commitment to
protecting patients from
accidents, errors, injuries and infections.
The hospital is awarded an “A” rating in the
organization’s spring 2014 Hospital Safety Score.
- The North Shore-LIJ Health System is
designated as a
Center of Excellence for Tourette
the National Tourette Syndrome
Association. North Shore-LIJ was recognized
for its multispecialty Tourette Syndrome
program, as well as for its role in founding the
newly established New York State Centers of
Excellence Consortium for Tourette Syndrome.
- North Shore University Hospital’s
Don Monti Bone Marrow and Stem Cell
receives a three-year
re-accreditation from the Foundation for the
Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT).
- Lenox Hill Hospital
Ne w York
State Department of Health’s 2013 Quality
for zero scheduled
deliveries without a medical reason for the
entire year — the highest level of
possible. The hospital was among 98 of 128
state-wide hospitals actively participating
Obstetrical Improvement Project.
- Glen Cove Hospital
is named a
Guardian of Excellence
by Press Ganey
Associates, Inc. The hospital is recognized
for patient satisfaction for its Emergency
Department and outpatient care delivered at
hospital’s Don Monti Cancer Center.
- Press Ganey Associates awards
Hospital’s Radiation Medicine Department
of Excellence Award
for its high
patient satisfaction scores. Southside received
the Patient Experience in Outpatient Oncology
Award for consistently ranking in the top five
percent nationwide for patient satisfaction.
- North Shore-LIJ’s
is recognized in
Becker’s Hospital Review’s
“ Top 100
Hospitals with Great Neurosurgery
and Spine Programs” in the United States.
- North Shore-LIJ is recognized as one of the six
Technology Informatics Guiding Education
(TIGER) Initiative Foundation’s
for use of Knowledge Based Charting
(KBC) throughout its
facilities. This technology
system allows multiple patient caregivers to
plan and document care in a patient’s
in real time to improve patient care.
- Three North Shore-LIJ physicians are
National Quality Forum (NQF)
steering committees, which bring medical
professionals together to analyze ways to
improve the quality of American healthcare.
- LIJ Medical Center
is recognized by the
National Research Corporation’s
Queens’ preferred borough
hospital for the 19th straight year.